Wednesday, March 20, 2013

It's wedge season!..and not the shoes

We're still filtering through our Omaha Steaks that we bought last summer.  Since I haven't been eating gluten, it's been a lot easier to eat all this meat, especially since we need the freezer space.  Our freezer has someone grown so full due to all the meat I've been buying at Costco.  To help with this space, I decided bacon filet would be a good start.  For sides, brussel sprouts and a wedge salad.
Ingredients:
bacon wrapped filets
butter
salt
pepper
brussel sprouts
mushroom
sundried tomatoes
brown sugar
balsamic vinegar
iceberg lettuce
ranch
cheese
tomatoes
peppers
To start, I cut up the brussel sprouts.  I took the outer leaves that were wilted and then cut them in half, removing the stem.  Then, I put them in a baking dish and covering them in salt, pepper, and olive oil and putting them in the oven for about 45 minutes.  
While the brussel sprouts were in the oven, I decided to make a glaze for the sprouts.  In the pot went mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, brown sugar, and balsamic.  I let the mushrooms cook to soften and the glaze to reduce.  Once the sprouts came out of the oven, I poured the glaze over them and put them back in the oven for about 10-15 minutes just to meld together.  

To cook the steak, I melted butter into a pan.  I put salt and pepper on both sides and cooked each side for about 4 minutes.  Then, I put the pan into the oven and let the steaks cook for about 10 minutes.  Then they sat on a plate for about 15 minutes just for the juices to flow through the steaks. 

Since I don't like bleu cheese AT ALL, I decided to make the wedge salads with ranch.  I quartered the head of lettuce and wanted to add some extra salad goodies so I chopped tomatoes and peppers.  I'm not sure how they do it at restaurants but it's really hard to make all of these little chopped things stick to the wedge.  I had to kinda shove them into the layers of lettuce.  I don't think it really mattered that it stuck there since you cut the whole thing up but I really wanted to do it.  I topped it off with some freshly ground pepper. 
SOOO, once everything was cooked, everything went on a plate.

The steaks were cooked to a perfect medium rare.  The sprouts and its reduction added a great flavor of sweetness to the salt of the steak.  They combined together very well.  The salad was crisp and refreshing, exactly what I was craving that night and a great start to the heartiness of the steak and sprouts.



No comments:

Post a Comment