Thursday, December 6, 2012

Finger lickin good

Eric and I went to a BBQ place in Denver over the weekend and it was pretty delicious.  We tried some single ribs since they were $1 but they were less than delicious so I thought I'd make some on my own for dinner.  I've never made ribs in the crock pot before b/c it just doesn't seem like it should be allowed being the Southern woman that I am but since I have to work and don't always have time to sit around and wait for them to cook, I decided to try it out since I've read good reviews about others experiences.

I started by buying 2 racks St. Louis ribs since they were on sale and cut them in half so they'd fit in the crockpot.  I covered them in rub using:
salt
pepper
garlic powder
cayenne pepper
chili powder
I rubbed em down on both sides and put them in the oven at 400 degrees for 10 min each side. 
They then went into the crock pot with the sauce that I "semi" made. The sauce consisted of:
BBQ sauce I had laying around
ketchup
onion
oregano
worcestershire
brown sugar


I made sure to cover all the ribs with the sauce and then cooked them on low for 7 hours.

After they were done, I put them back on a baking sheet and covered them in sauce again.  They then went into the oven under the broiler so the sauce could caramelize and the remaining sauce went into a pot to heat and thicken.

Earlier in the day, I also decided to make a corn salad as a side since it could sit in the fridge all day and I wouldn't have to worry about it once I got home from work.  The corn salad consisted of:
corn
onion
cider vinegar
olive oil
salt
pepper
basil

It all went into a bowl and got a quick toss before going into the fridge 


While the ribs were cooking, tater tots sounded good so I just bought a bag of frozen ones and baked them in the oven. 

So once everything was done, it got plated and I spooned some more sauce onto the ribs.  We only went through 1 rack of ribs between the 2 of us which made for great leftovers!

The ribs were surprisingly good! They were fall off the bone, tender, and had really good flavor.  The sauce absorbed a lot of the rub flavors, such as the kick of spice from the cayenne.  I think the flavors were really allowed to develop.  I also think the pre-cooking in the oven helped eliminate some of the fat from the pork once it was put in the crockpot so the remaining sauce wasn't fatty.  The corn was good but I think it could've been better had I used fresh corn instead of frozen but since it's winter, there really isn't fresh corn around =/  We put some of it in salads for the next night and it was a really good addition.

To anyone that may be skeptical about ribs in the crockpot, I say you should try it!! It's not exactly the same as ribs on a smoker/grill but it definitely hits the spot when you have a craving and don't have the time to sit and wait for them :)





No comments:

Post a Comment