Thursday, August 16, 2012

What goes with corn pudding??

A couple of weeks ago, Eric made the request for corn pudding.  Well, he actually requested scalloped corn and I thought he said corn pudding so that's what I made.  Luckily, the ingredients are the same so it turned out to be the same thing.  I racked my brain for HOURS not knowing what to make with it.  I kept thinking chicken of some sort but I had just bought a whole chicken the day before so I didn't want to roast another chicken.  After racking my brain for a bit and my best friend Lindsey's, I decided to stick with a chicken of some sort and potatoes.

To start, I made the corn pudding since it would take the longest and needed to cook in the oven.  This is probably one of the easiest things in the world to make b/c everything goes in at once and then you just give it a quick mix and it's ready to go into the oven.  To make it, I use the following:
Jiffy corn muffin mix
melted butter
creamed corn
whole kernel corn
sour cream
I left out eggs and milk and it still came out deliciously..and better for you! Just put everything in a bowl, mix it together and then put it in a casserole dish.  I baked it in the oven for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. 

For the chicken, I decided to make a peach glaze.  The ingredients were the following:
bone in chicken breast
peach preserves
jalapeño
soy sauce
dijon mustard
garlic
salt
pepper
To make this, I chopped up the jalapenos and garlic and put them in a small pot and cooked to release heat.  Then, I added the rest of the ingredients and just let the peach preserves "de-lump" Once it was smooth, I removed it from heat.  



When it came time to cook, I coated the chicken with olive oil, salt and pepper.  Then I placed it on the grill and cooked it for 6 minutes, skin side down.  I then gave it a flip and cooked it for another 6 minutes on the other side.  


Once it was flipped, I poured glaze on each side and let it continue cooking.  I'm not sure how long I cooked it on each side b/c I feel like I had a hard time getting it cooked all the way through.  For some reason, It seemed to take much longer than normal.  Make sure you check it, especially being chicken.  I made sure to have some glaze left over to pour on after it was done cooking.  So what seemed to be forever later, the chicken finally came off the grill. 
While the chicken and corn pudding were cooking, I made fried potatoes and onions.  I wanted to make these roasted potato muffin things but they wouldn't fit in the muffin pan and I had already sliced them so I just decided to "fry" them instead with an onion, salt, and pepper.  I tried to use minimal amounts of olive oil b/c I hate when they're super greasy but I wonder if I may have used too little.  

So after about an hour or so, everything was done cooking and it was time to eat! I let the chicken sit for a bit to let the juices flow.

The corn pudding turned out great.  The potatoes could have had a little more salt but I always put ketchup on my fried potatoes so I wasn't that worried about it.  The chicken and glaze was pretty good.  The glaze was great since it was sweet, tangy, and spicy all at the same time.  I'm glad that I cooked it down b/c the heat from the jalapeño was definitely released in the cooking process.  I will make this glaze again b/c I think you could use it on a variety of meats.


No comments:

Post a Comment