Monday, July 2, 2012

Brunch at home

Sunday, we were all going to go to dim sum but then we decided against it. It really didn't matter b/c my mom didn't wake up until NOON and Eric went to the driving range.  I started getting hungry and at first thought that maybe my mom and I would go to brunch but the later it got and she didn't wake up, the hungrier I got and decided I didn't feel like getting ready and waiting for a table then ordering, etc...So instead, I decided to make brunch at the house.  I didn't cook that much last week obviously so I was kind of itching to get back in the kitchen anyway.  I decided to go with hash.  I made it with italian sausage instead of corned beef and added a lot of veggies.  The ingredients were as follows:
mild Italian pork sausage
hot Italian pork sausage
bell pepper
sundried tomatoes
potatoes
onions
garlic
green onions
mushrooms
avocados
I chopped up the peppers and onions, sliced the mushrooms, and then shredded the potatoes.  I put the potatoes in a bowl of water in order to take out some starch and also so it wouldn't brown. 
I began by heating olive oil in a pan and then cooking the sausages until the outsides were lightly browned.  I then took them out of the pan and chopped them up so they were in small chunks.  

Without draining the pan, I cooked the green onions and garlic in the juices.  Once those cooked for about 2 minutes, I added all the veggies and sausage and cooked them about halfway through then placed them in a bowl and set it aside. 


Once again, without draining the pan to keep flavors, I added the potatoes.  I let them sit in the pan for about 7 minutes without touching them.  Then flipped them and cooked them for about 7 more minutes.

Once they began to gain some color, I added the bowl of veggies and sausage and cooked the hash until it was done.  I basically let everything sit in the pan for about 5 minutes intervals and then I would flip the ingredients around so it wouldn't burn.  Once there was about 5 minutes left, I added the avocados and began cooking the eggs.  I made fried eggs runny to top the hash and topped everything with some salt and pepper.  We also bought sandwich thins in bulk from Costco a while ago and so I felt this was the perfect time to toast them and use them as toast since we didn't have actual bread.  
It was delicious and INCREDIBLY filling.  We have so much leftover still in the fridge.  Hopefully we will get through it.  Hash is so easy to make and you can throw any leftover veggies into it that you want, which is basically what I did! I highly suggest it as a Sunday meal for any groceries you didn't end up using during the week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment