Friday, July 6, 2012

Leftover madness

Turns out, over the past week, we accrued a bunch of leftovers.  I racked my brain a bit and thought about what I could do with all of them so they didn't spoil and go to waste.  After some thought, I thought Asian food of some sort would be best since they always use a mixture of shrimp, chicken, and beef.  This led to lettuce wraps!  They are so easy and I already had everything I needed minus the lettuce! So the ingredients I ended up using were:
chicken
steak
shrimp
orange bell peppers
onions
mushrooms
hoisin sauce
green onions
sesame oil
olive oil
lettuce
I can't even explain how easy this was to make and incredibly healthy too.  I began by chopping everything up.
Then you start by heating up olive oil and sesame oil together.  Once it's heated, I added the onions, mushrooms, and green onions and let them cook for about 5 minutes and then added the peppers and steak.  The chicken and shrimp were added last since they were already cooked all the way through.  I also added the hoisin sauce at this time and cooked everything just to make sure it was hot all the way through. 
Once it was all hot, I dumped it into a bowl and served it with some red leaf lettuce.  
It turned out really well! I just added a pinch of salt after tasting it and it was perfect.  This is another one of those great meals that you can make from leftovers.  Not only a great meal to empty out your fridge, it's also healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment