Wednesday, June 6, 2012

"Let's get you a pet....like a lobster!!!"

Yesterday started with the craving for seafood.  I started thinking shrimp cocktail but then couldn't go beyond that.  After a while, I thought of bacon wrapped scallops but the last time we made those, Eric didn't seem to thoroughly enjoy them that much so I kept thinking.  I'm not really sure what came over me but out of nowhere, I decided to make something I have never attempted or even thought to attempt before...LOBSTERS! I didn't really think that I was in the mood for just lobster dipped in butter so to skew from the plain, I went with lobster rolls.  This meal became a bit of a process for me since I had never made lobster or lobster rolls so it took a lot of tweaking.  This was my process

I bought 4 lobster tails, totaling about 4 lbs.  I let them defrost in cold water in the sink for about 2 hours.  Then I put 1 inch of water in a large pot and let it boil.  Once boiling, I placed 2 of the tails in a time for about 10 min to let them steam.  The first 2 came out and they weren't cooked all the way through so I put them back in.  I let the 2nd batch undertook a bit because I'm going to use them for dinner tonight and so they will cook more.
Once the shells were cool enough to touch, I took them off and chopped the lobster, placed it in a bowl, and chilled it in the fridge for about an hour.

At this point, I gathered the rest of the ingredients that I started with.  This included the following:
chopped celery
tony chachere's
pepper
mayo
paprika
lemon juice
melted butter
kaiser rolls 
I added the celery and juiced 2 lemons into the lobster meat.  I added about 1/2 cup of mayo and seasoned with the seasonings to taste.  At this point, I tasted the mix and felt like there was something missing.  I then added more pepper, cayenne, garlic powder, and chalula.  It still tasted a little different to me but I decided to stop there so I didn't go overboard and ruin it completely.  I put the mix back in the fridge to let it chill and come together.

At this point I needed to put the rolls in the oven.  I cut them in half and placed butter on them and let the butter melt and bread to toast for about 5 minutes.  

Once melted and toasted, the lobster came out of the fridge and I spooned it into the rolls.  We had pasta salad leftover from the BBQ so we ate that as a side.  
I must say, the melted butter and bread helped the roll.  I think it was the missing piece of the lobster.  Maybe it was just the butter, but once eaten as a complete sandwich, it tasted much better.  I think it's safe to say my first lobster experience was a success! 


No comments:

Post a Comment