Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Movin to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches

I recently bought this month's copy of Bon Appetit magazine and while flipping through, found a lot of good recipes to try this summer! Last night's dinner was taken from that and due to the sale on pork chops at Whole Foods, we made grilled pork chops with grilled peaches, German coleslaw, and potato salad.  Since I was successful at the pork tenderloin, I believe I have conquered my fear of pork and am now willing to make it in all sorts of ways.

Generally, I really don't like coleslaw, but German coleslaw is a different story. It's this great mix of sweet and tangy with no mayo or anything creamy.  The ingredients are so simple and as follows
Shredded cabbage
Sugar
White vinegar
oil
salt
pepper
Some people put celery salt and green onions but I find that I never have these things on hand so I just leave them out and it's just as good! It's so easy to make since the sugar, oil, and vinegar are all equal parts.  Just put them in a pot and bring to a boil.  



Once the mixture is boiling, make sure the sugar is fully dissolved and pour on top of the cabbage and mix.
At this point, I add the salt and pepper to taste and continue to mix.  Put the bowl in the fridge and let it cool and let it come together for a couple of hours.  You can make this in the morning and eat it for dinner or even the next day! It doesn't take much planning at all which I love. 
As you can tell, it will condense quite a bit once the cabbage actually soaks up the liquid.  I had about 1 lb of cabbage. 

The pork can be made up to 24 hours in advance since it sits in a marinade.  Once again, another easy dish to make as long as you remember to marinade the pork ahead of time and have the ingredients ready.  I marinaded mine for about 7 hours.  The marinade is as follows:
Canola oil
White wine vinegar
Olive oil
Pepper
Dijon mustard
Fresh Marjoram
Garlic

The only time I had ever used marjoram is dried on my Thanksgiving turkey.  I was a little surprised by the smell of it but at the same time didn't really know what to expect.  The garlic and marjoram are both chopped and placed in a bowl with dijon mustard and vinegar.  Mix them together until combined.  There are equal parts of canola and olive oil mixed into a container, about 1/2 cup of each depending on how many chops you have.  I had about 2.5 lbs of thick cut bone in pork chops.  The recipe called for about 4 lbs so I definitely had extra.  You slowly pour the oil into the mustard/vinegar mixture, whisking the entire time until the mixture is creamy and the oil is completely blended in.  Put the chops into a ziplock bag and cover them with the marinade.  Make sure that they are completely covered.  
 I decided to give mine a couple of turns throughout the process, about 3 times over 7 hours.  When time came, put the chops on the grill at about medium high and turned them every 5 minutes for 20 minutes.  

While the chops began cooking, I cut the peaches in half and pitted them.  They were put in a bowl with some olive oil and salt and tossed.  


When there were about 6 minutes left on the chops, the peaches went on the grill until they were charred and softened.  I had some leftover marinade from the pork chops so I brushed them on both sides before turning the 2nd time. 

After removed from the grill, the chops and peaches sat for about 10 minutes so the juices could flow and cook a little further.  
They turned out a little more than medium..maybe closer to medium well depending on the chop.  However, I do believe they were pretty good.  We went through all the peaches, I bought 4.  


I would definitely make this recipe again.  Next time, I will marinade the pork for longer though, probably overnight.  It wasn't bland, but at the same time could have been more flavorful.  Overall, it was a success!! I think my pork skills are slowly but surely improving! 



No comments:

Post a Comment