Monday, June 11, 2012

Queso blanco...just a fancy way of saying white cheese

Eric's and my friends, Ryan and Alissa, recently got engaged and Friday they had their engagement part! We were asked to bring queso so that's what we did.  We decided to steer away from the norm of rotel dip with velveeta and make real cheese dip.  We were also told that there would be some vegetarians so we also steered away from meat which made me a little sad.  We decided to make Queso Blanco and the ingredients I choose to use are as follows:
White american cheese
Pepper Jack cheese
Anaheim Peppers, chopped and deseeded
Roma Tomatoes
Onions
Heavy Cream
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
Nutmeg
The cheese came in blocks and I grated them right before making the dip.  The process is pretty easy.  Heated the olive oil until hot.  Then, added the onions and peppers and cooked them until soft.  Then, I added the cheese a little a time with a little cream and the remaining spices until all the cheese was melted.  It basically turned into a big cheese "lump"


Once the cheese was fully melted, I began adding more cream a little at a time.  This was done until the cheese was at the consistency I liked.  I basically added a whole pint of cream but I also used A LOT of cheese! 

With the cheese at a good thickness, the tomatoes were added and I kept the dip on the burner over low so it would stay hot and not cease up back into a cheese ball.  When tasting, it wasn't as spicy as I would have liked so I added some chopped jalapeƱos from the jar to add a little more spice.  The longer the dip cooked, the spicier it got.  I think it turned out to be pretty good! They had fish tacos at the party and the dip seemed to be a big hit on the tacos as well as just a side :)

No comments:

Post a Comment