Monday, May 14, 2012

School's out FOREVER!

Congrats to Punkin for graduating this past Saturday!! Lack of posts this weekend are mainly due to not really cooking anything since family was in town and I was lazy and didn't take any pictures of food we ate =/  However, I did make him a cake.  It was a carrot cake and turned out ok.  Not as well as I would have liked but Eric seemed to like it so that's really all that matters since it was for him anyway.  For some reason, it felt like the cake never finished cooking.  It was a little dense and I felt, gooey.  I had problems with the frosting too.  When making it, I had the cream cheese and butter at room temperature so I think that was part of the problem.  It just didn't taste like cream cheese frosting but more like butter and cream cheese.  After putting it in the fridge though, it firmed up and tasted much better.  The taste of the cake was ok, just the texture was an issue.  I decided to put the cake in the fridge overnight to let it cool and just woke up at 5:30 the next morning and finished it.  

So Eric is a Cubs fan, against all my efforts to make him a Cardinals fan.  Since it's baseball season, I figured it would be fun to make him a Cubs themed cake for graduation.  This is the logo I based it off of.

This is how the cake turned out


The writing could've been better but it will do.  I think the piping tip that I chose was a little big too.  I picked a bigger size for the outlining of the C but at 5:30 in the morning, I really didn't feel like changing the tip/bag so I just went with it.  It's the first thing I've actually piped and first actual cake I've made since pastry school so I think it's ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment